Dear Dr. LaGuardia,
What is the best natural way to treat Intestinal parasites and/or systemic fungal infections?
There are two kinds of parasitic infections that infect humans; Protozoa which are single cell organisms that multiply within your body such as Giardia and cryptosporidium. The vast majority of parasites are called helminths (worms and their larvae), the two major classes being tapeworms and roundworms.
Long before the advent of antibiotics in the 1940’s mankind had a number of effective treatments for these infections that are still available today. Let’s take a look at some of the most effective treatments.
1.) Berberine; This comes from several plants such as the barberry plant as well as goldenseal, Oregon grape, tree turmeric and others.
Berberine is an alkaloid made from the bark, roots and rhizomes, it has a multitude of medicinal uses as well as boosting memory, immunity and treatment of diabetes (it is as effective as the most commonly prescribed diabetic drug Metformin) to name but a few. As an antimicrobial/anti-infective agent it is active against bacteria, viruses, fungi , protozoans, parasitic worms and chlamydia. That is hard to beat. The proper dose has been difficult to determine but 200mg twice a day until the infection abates should be sufficient, But the effective dose varies sometimes up to 1200 mg/day. I would start slow and slowly raise it.
2. Papaya: You can use unripe papaya or papaya seeds ground up and mixed with honey and hot water and made into a medicinal tea. Papaya, especially raw, unripe papaya contains the enzyme papain which is lethal to intestinal worms and parasites.
3. Ayurvedic Herbs: Ayurveda uses a mix of piper longum and butea monosperma called Pipali Rosayana. This has been used for centuries to very effectively treat parasitic infections from both protozoans and parasitic worms which are both a major problem in India and surrounding countries.
4. Garlic: I just planted my garlic so it will be ready next spring so this one is close to my heart. Take three gloves or raw garlic daily until the infection has abated. Only raw or crushed garlic will do, due to its allicin content which makes is effective. Allicin is destroyed by cooking garlic, thus the need to eat it raw or crushed.
5. Pineapple: Pineapple contains the enzymes bromelain and papain which are very good for your overall health and also treat intestinal worms and parasites. Presumably it is from their proteolytic activity (they dissolve proteins thus their effect upon parasites).
6. Coconut : Coconut helps expel intestinal worms and parasites from their home in your intestines. You can use the fruit or the organic coconut oil (I recommend Tropical Traditions brand, an American grows it in the Philippines and it is organic and pure). Do this daily until you are cured: Take one teaspoon of crushed coconut for breakfast, wait three hours and then drink a glass of warm milk with two teaspoons of castor oil. This combination will make those little bastards run for your anus to get out of Dodge.
7. Pumpkin Seeds: Pumpkin seeds are a highly effective treatment , eating them raw or roasted is fine ( I prefer roasted). How they work is from the protein cucurbitacin which causes paralysis in the worms and therefore they cannot attach themselves to the intestinal wall and they are flushed out by the passage of feces.
8. Diotamaceous earth : This is not only a great insecticide but also kills parasites, fungi, worms and their eggs. Mix one teaspoon in eight ounces of water daily, after one week go up to two times a day until you are healed.
9. Apple Cider Vinegar: The best brand by far is Bragg’s Apple Cider Vinegar. It is available in almost every grocery store and online. It is not only wonderful for your health secondary to its nutritional content and alkalizing effect but also is lethal to yeasts, fungi, parasites and their eggs and even candida. Take one teaspoon three times a day half an hour before meals, after one week go up to a tablespoon three times daily.
10. Cinnamon : Cinnamon has numerous health benefits not the least of which is its wonderful effect on diabetes, helping to control blood sugars. As it turns out it is also lethal to fungi, parasites and worms and their larvae. Mix a half a teaspoon of the powder in a glass of water three times a day.
11. Essential Oils: such as Oregano oil, thyme and peppermint all can be used individually for the treatment of both fungal infections and parasitic infections including worms.
12. Olive Oil : Olive oil is both an anti-fungal and antiparasitic treatment as well as being a wonderful nutrient. Take one to two teaspoons a day.
There are many other treatments used by various cultures around the world, but these are my favorites and are readily available locally or online.
This disclaimer provides that such medical information is merely information – not advice. If users need medical advice, they should consult a doctor or other appropriate medical professional.
***Copyright © 2017 by Dr. Ralph LaGuardia, MD
All rights reserved. This book or any portion thereof
may not be reproduced or used in any manner whatsoever
without the express written permission of the publisher
except for the use of brief quotations in a book review.